RE: 164 switch to synthetic

I would do the following to switch to synthetic.
Don't use engine flush.  Just replace it with synthetic.
Change oil and filter after 1000 miles.  next change at
another 3000 miles.  Then back to 7500 miles or more
change schedule.

No oil, synthetic or not, has ever damaged an engine.
Dirty oil and ignorance damage a engine.

My 92 164S the very first day I drive it home.
It stayed in garage until every kind of oils replaced and rubber hoses
checked and replaced.  I later added AMSOIL by-pass filter
that can filter particle down to 1 micrometer.  The by-pass filter
clogged in 2000 miles which verified the cleaning power of synthetic.
Now it clogged after between 7000 and 10,000 miles.
I only replace main and by-pass filters and add oil.  The oil
analysis revealed that engine oil clean even after more than 50,000
miles without oil change !  Now I am so confident that I should
never need to change my engine oil again ever.  This is such a
luxury considering I drive over 30,000 miles a year.  I would
have to do oil change every month for 3000 miles change schedule.
That's just unthinkable and will certainly drive me crazy. Now I
just replace both filter every 7,000 to 10,000 miles when by-pass
filter is almost clogged.  This is not magic but common sense, keep
oil clean and it will last if not forever.  So will the engine.

Karl