Electirc fans, Starter Solenoid

It's bonehead question time.
1: When installing an electric cooling fan in a Spider, is it
recomended to leave the shroud in place? Or construct a shroud
for the front of the radiatior? Or (preferred method) just forget
the shroud completly?
2: My starter occaisionally spins without engaging the drive gear,
no grinding, just spins up all by itself. It always catches enevtually
without turning the crank manually so I assume the ring gear is OK.
The question is, can the solenoid be removed for cleaning without
removing the starter?
TIA
Dave Partridge
76 Spider
Monticello, Mn. (where spring is approaching VERY early)