RE: Electirc fans, Starter Solenoid

Dave Partridge wrote:
 =

>> 1: When installing an electric cooling fan in a Spider,
is it recomended to leave the shroud in place? Or construct
a shroud for the front of the radiatior? Or (preferred
method) just forget the shroud completly? <<

Most add-on electric fans I've seen for sale have an integral
shroud as part of the mounting assembly, so I've remove the
original shroud.  =

>> 2: My starter occaisionally spins without engaging the drive
gear, no grinding, just spins up all by itself. It always
catches enevtually without turning the crank manually so
I assume the ring gear is OK. The question is, can the
solenoid be removed for cleaning without removing the
starter? <<

This doesn't sound like a solenoid problem to me, sounds like
a problem with the starter's overruning clutch. In any case I
don't think I'd remove just the solenoid. I'd remove the entire
starter/solenoid assembly. This way after you "clean" the sol.,
you can put it back on the starter and bench test it. Note that
a solenoid should NOT be tested off of the starter--it may
damage it. Also note that the sol. "plug" should not be
lubricated, but assembled dry.

And since you have the starter out, you should probably clean
that too. And check the brushes while you're in there. See the
article at the i Saluti website on cleaning the starter at:

   http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/starter1.html

Good luck,

Rich Hirsch
St Louis MO