From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided]On Behalf Of
Martin Hansen
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 6:44 AM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: First Post

I am a recent observer of this forum and have digested (pun intended) it=92=
contents from #1299 to #1405. What a wonderful feeling to realize I am no=
alone in this world saturated with urban assault vehicles and contaminate=
with hoards of inbred Asian parasite machines. As I read each posting, I
began to realize we have strength in numbers and together we can keep our
fragile kind alive against the onslaught and magnitude of others that hav=
the audacity and self centered attitude to consider themselves in no need=
 of
regular maintenance or repair. Yes, even though we pursue our daily lives
and try to simply fit into society, we are humiliated and sometimes scorn=
ed
because of the tell-tell signs of grease under our fingernails as a resul=
of our nightly efforts before the morning commute. I am so relieved to fi=
nd
I am not alone.

Living in the Pacific Northwest, and far removed from the Italian roots o=
our mark, makes it very difficult to interface with others of our kind.
While driving, it is possible to catch a lucky glance of a Spider, 164 or
Milano and maybe even a GTV6 or two but the moment passes quickly with a
simple hand gesture and smile. Away from the open roads, I have learned
methods to distinguish others of our kind in society. Dirty fingernails a=
re
far from a reliable identification and may simply expose a gearhead with =
57=92 Chevy. The most reliable method I have learned are noticeable open
wounds and/or scar tissue located at key locations of the forehead. These
indications, and sometimes indentations, resemble notable objects found o=
nly
under the carriage of products of our make. These marks can only originat=
after countless hours spent researching the lower extremities of our cars
and looking for that illusive rattle or stopping the seeping of precious
fluids. I have even learned to distinguish the subspecies of our kind by
recognizing the scar shape of a watts linkage of a transaxle as compared =
the casting marks of a spider=92s differential.

It is so much easier and reliable to interface with others of our kind by
simply logging on to this forum and I=92m looking forward to much more fu=
n.

Martin

1988 Verde (Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday car)

1986 GTV6 (Thursday, Friday and weekend car)

1999 Chrysler 300M (wife=92s car=85Yes, I drive it too when we have all t=
he
kids)

1985 Honda accord (Alfa ungo car=85for those days when I=92d rather stay =
home
and fix my Alfa but need to have absolute reliability for my job commute =
so
I can afford parts for my Alfa. Yes I am ashamed and always wear sunglass=
es
to disguise may appearance. If you are driving around Seattle and see a
Honda with a driver wearing sunglasses on our usual dark rainy day...it i=
probably me....be kind.)