Re: GTV-6 Cooling Fans?

From: JOlson1967@domain.elided
> Subject: Re: GTV-6 Cooling Fans?
>
> I believe my radiator thermoswitch has gone bad.  The right radiator
> fan works only when the thermoswitch is bypassed and the left fan
> works only when the a/c is on.  Neither fan will turn on at high
> coolant temperature only.

That sounds like a dead thermoswitch.

> I've used a tester to confirm there is no power to the lead of the
> right fan regardless of high temperature or a/c turned on.
>
> The question is, are both fans supposed to turn on when the
> thermoswitch closes or just the right one?  What about when the a/c
> is on but the coolant temperature is low, left fan only?

Only one fan is controlled by the thermoswitch.  The other fan is
controlled exclusively by the a/c system.  On a really hot summer day
in the SF Bay Area the single fan is not adequate at surface street
speeds.

When the a/c system was removed (for the most part) from my GTV6, the
wiring was modified so that both fans are now controlled by the
thermoswitch. (The a/c system is just ballast 98% of the time in the
Bay Area and had rarely worked since I bought the car.)

> PS  Thinking about installing a single Milano fan, what to do with the
> left a/c fan and right fan power leads?  Splice them together?

I think that I would not do that.  Once wired so that they are more
effective, the dual fans give a lot greater reliability than a single
fan would and they pull air across a larger area of the radiator.

The virtue of the single fan is a small reduction in the cost of
manufacturing the car.

chrisp