Logo Wars

Well,  here's my 2 cents:

BMW
As far as the aftermarket BMW 850 Convertible conversion having it's "BMW"
badges removed:  Yes, it's true.

MERCEDES
Popular Mercedes tweaker "AMG" was required to remove all Mercedes names and
badging from the outside of the vehicles upon completion of their
modifications... AMG
has since been purchased by Mercedes and Mercedes cars can be purchased with
an optional "AMG" package from the dealer.

PACKARD
I recall reading an article within the last 6 months (Forbes magazine, I think),
in which a
man has purchased all rights to the Packard name and badges because he plans to
release a "new" Packard into the market.  It looks quite a bit like a Bentley
Turbo R and,
yes, he's made a prototype.  Upon purchase of all rights to the name he
immediatly
had his lawyers approach all Packard Clubs in the U.S. and request that they
remove
Packard Logos from their sights and change any club names that use Packard in a
way that may be misleading as to whether they produce the automobiles or not....
and
he hasn't even got a car into production yet!!

Clearly, the once great marque of Packard would benefit from a following of
collectors
that are specifically attracted to that name brand... and yet a "cease & desist"
order was
sent out.  It sounds like Alfa has done the same thing.

Thanks,
Greg Graham
Austin, TX