GTV-6 v. 944

     >From: "Doug Holtsinger" <dsholt1@domain.elided>
     >Subject: How does a GTV6 compare to a Porsche 944?

     >Can anyone compare these two cars in terms of handling,
     >944 and I've been thinking about buying the GTV6.
     >Seems like they have similar power/weight numbers and
     >used prices, and I was wondering how they stack up
     >against each other on the street.

     As the current owner of an '87 924S (same 2.5L 4 as the 944) and the
     former owner of an '85 GTV-6, I would say that the cars do stack up
     pretty evenly with some noted differences. First, I always felt that
     the Alfa engine had more sheer revability and just loved to be
     redlined whereas the Porsche engine while quick, has more of a turbine
     like smoothness and goes about its business less demonstrably. In
     terms of handling, I think both cars have a certain amount of
     understeer built in to them with the Alfa in my experience seeming to
     reach its limits just a tad quicker. The primary difference I noted in
     both cars is in the area of build quality which the Porsche wins hands
     down. I have yet to have a single electrical problem of any kind in
     the Porsche period and the doors still close like vaults. The GTV-6 on
     the other hand, well we all know the story. The GTV-6 when everything
     works, is a blast. The Porsche tends to impress you over time with its
     overall capabilities. Having said all of this, if I had to pick one of
     the cars for sheer driving fun, it would be the Alfa. If I was
     choosing based upon using the vehicle as a practical daily driver, it
     would have to be the Porsche. Just my thoughts.

     Kevin Fillip
     Dallas, Texas

     '91 164
     '91 Spider Veloce
     '91 Spider
     '87 Porsche 924S (My venture to the dark side)