Sud engine removal

Bruce Harrison asked if it was possible to remove a sud motor the "normal"
way, up through the bonnet (hood, for those of you not blighted with
English). The answer would have to be a resounding NO for various reasons,
most important of which is that the motor can not be removed from the
gearbox without first removing the driveshafts and discs, or discs at the
very least, because the engine/box bolts are hidden behind the discs.

I do know that the main dealers do clutches with the motors left in the car,
so it is evidently possible to split the two in situ, but it sounds like
more work than it's worth, especially if you don't have a hoist. Just
remember the handbrake and speedo cables or there'll be unexplained
stoppages - "it won't drop any further - what's that popping sound?"

I also have my doubts you'd actually get it out, because the main engine
mount (that hangs from the front of the "bathtub") would probably interfere.

To do the job in the easiest fashion, I would suggest dropping the motor
complete with front crossmember, both sets of suspension arms, and hubs.
Just undo the rear arms where they attach to the body, and the four bolts at
the bottom of each strut. That way, the whole thing will drop to the floor,
and can be pulled out and worked on easily. The worst job is undoing the
driveshaft bolts, and taking the brakes etc off. Much easier on the floor
than under the car.

Just my two cents worth, having done it about 15 times. And I don't seem to
recall ever actually having WANTED to do it...

Chris Kane
76 Sud Ti (newly reborn last night, with outboard discs, urethane bushes,
fresh 105 bhp motor)
86 Sprint QV (no rebirthing needed)