re:spider tires

Godfrey DiGiorgi  asks about shorter tires for Frankenspider, starting
from 185/70 x 14.  I used 205/60 x 14 on my Alfetta.  They were mounted
on 6" wide light alloy rims.  They are shorter than the original
(185/70s on Al Fetta, too), but not as short as the 195/60s would be.  I
think I calculated about 7% smaller diameter than stock fitment.

I was using Bridgestone RE71Rs, a race rubber, but DOT and street legal
.  They had over 15 - 17 thousand miles on them when I traded up to 15"
wheels.  They also had, I am guessing, 40% of the tread left.  This on a
car I think is heavier than a Spider.  Mind you, I am not recommending
race rubber for the street.  I was fortunate to be in the position where
Al Fetta was not my daily driver, so I could afford less tire wear than
otherwise.  I was pleasantly surprised by the wear of the Bridgestones.

One person's opinion.  Yokohama AVS intermediates are wonderful tires.
I don't know if they are still available.  I think Yokohama is phasing
them out after more than 10 years on the market.  Truly premium rubber
in 14" is getting harder to find, which is why I moved up to 15" wheels,
with 205/55 tires. BTW, the 15' wheels are 7' wide, but I think that 6"
wide would work as well. Shorter than that would be 205/50, where there
should still be many good choices.  I think that would be my suggestion,
rather than going to 14 inchers.  Of course, you'd have to live with
shorter sidewalls, with the attendant deterioration of ride quality.
All compromises.

good luck

Jay Negrin
ARO So Cal