Mobil 1

Ken Ross says:
I am concern about some negative aspects of using synthetic.
Besides the possibility of new oil leaks when using synthetic oil, I have
also heard that "sludge" from the prior non-synthetic oil can buildup in the
engine and cause a lot of damage

Ken,
There are several sites on the web relating what seem to be conclusive data
establishing the advantages of synthetic oils, Mobil 1 being among the best.
It sounds to me like you're hearing rehashes of the stuff we heard in the
'60's about replacing nondetergent oil with detergent stuff.  THAT,
apparently, was true.  But all of us who've torn down engines which have had
decent modern oil, changed at 3K mile intervals, have seen that there's
practically no sludge to be loosened, and what there is, is probably in the
crank galleries already.
Changing from Castrol 20/50 to Mobil 1 15/50 has made my SPICA '72 Spider
very much easier to start all winter.  It has been in the low 30's many
mornings here (that's low 0's to the civilized world) and where the starter
was obviously carrying a heavy load with the Castrol, it spins that little
sucker right over and starts first crank every time with the Mobil 1.  The
data on the oil websites suggest that the improvement in high temperature
performance is also excellent.
I have noticed no new oil leaks since switching.

Cheers,
Joe