164 Water Pump Question

Our 1991 164L, when the coolant is topped up, leaks coolant on the left side
of the engine and the Low Coolant warning lamp comes on once the engine
temperature reaches normal operating range, not until.  Pulled the  front
inner fender liner and could see the coolant dripping from RPM and Stroke
Sensor mounting.  Released tension on the coolant pump and air conditioning
drive belt, then pulled the pulley off the water pump.  The leak was
originating from the underside of the pulley shaft, from a hole just above
what looks like a large rubber plug in the face of the pump.  Seems odd that
this only loses coolant when topped up and never seems to get real low.

Figuring that the packing in the water pump is shot, I consulted the CD-ROM
I have on the 164 and it says that the timing belt must be removed as part
of the procedure to remove the water pump.  OK, but the section on removing
the timing belt has steps requiring one to move the valve covers and get all
cam shaft marks aligned as well as the flywheel's scribed line aligned with
a notch on the gearbox cone.

My question:  Since I have the negative battery cable removed, the front end
on jack stands and the car in neutral, is it required to go through this
alignment process.  It seems to me that if the engine is not disturbed (not
turned) that the belt could be removed and installed without completing this
alignment process.  Am I correct?  It would sure save some time.

The timing belt has recently been replaced, if this were not so I would go
ahead and replace the belt during this whole mess.

Appreciate your comments and help,
Paul Weimer, Ohio