Re: Safe to leave Spider Top Down in Parking Lots?

At 11:28 PM -0500 2/22/00, Ken Ross wrote:
>What is the consensus regarding leaving the top down on a Spider in public
>parking lots?  I would like to leave the tonneau cover on the car, but I do
>not want to take the time to take it on and off each time I want leave the
>car with the top down.  My fear is that people would through trash, drinks,
>etc into the car if I leave the top down.  What is the experience from list
>members?

Ken:

We should have beautiful weather tomorrow in the Philadelphia area.
I am fortunate to be spending most of the day in the Spider and will
have the top down.  Fortunately I am going to see a client who is
also an old friend, so he'll also be enjoying the weather...although
I'm just now seeing on the news possible showers tomorrow.  Anyway,
back to your question.  I leave the top down everywhere, and have
never had a problem.  What you have to understand is that it will put
extra wear from the sun on your interior.  While I'm not wild about
that, putting the top up and down is a nuisance.  Make sure that you
use a non-silicone vinyl and leather treatment on all interior
coverings.  So far, I have had no problem on my 89 Graduate, however,
the carpet on the parcel shelf is just a bit faded.  Do use your boot
cover, otherwise the interior surface of your top will develop an
unusual fading pattern.

I also make certain that there is nothing of value in the car, take
the faceplate off of the radio and put a club on the car.  (Yes, I
know that the club doesn't really help, but it was a gift from my
son.)

When you do have the top up, do NOT lock the car.  If anybody wants
anything from your car, they will just cut the top and leave you $800
poorer.  My brother used to lock his Miata (yuch!!!) until his top
was cut.  He always thought that I was nuts for leaving my car
unlocked.

Enjoy the weather.

Fred Sacks
89 Graduate