Collision Avoidance Practice - Rim and Tire Time!

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of practicing some collision avoidance
braking and maneuvering as a group of cars in front of me suddenly
decided that it was time to stop in the middle of Highway 101 (for no
reason I could observe, by the way ... they just slammed on their
brakes). I managed to find a slot with the most distance between me
and the closest obstruction and hit the brakes pretty hard. The
pavement surface was moderately poor: the tires were nearly
impossible to hold at the threshold of lockup. They kept locking and
sliding as I modulated the pedal.

Good news is that I managed to stop 12 feet from the car in front of
me and 3 feet from the concrete barrier wall to the right side. Not
too shabby, FrankenSpider is unscathed.

Bad news is that the old Michelin XGTH4s are now nastily
flat-spotted, at least three of them. So it's definitely become time
to replace them.

Since FrankenSpider has the taller rear axle ratio from the '82
Spider, a slightly shorter tire is perfectly reasonable, the gearing
is just a hair too tall for my preferences as it is. The Michies are
185/70-14 and a bit squidgy, I'd like something more responsive now.

I've had good results with the Yokohama AVS-Intermediates on my MR2
and I see they're available in a 195/60-14V size. They're listed as
fittable on a 5.5-7.0" rim width, the 5 spokes are 6.0x14 and the GTA
Replicas I see advertised from Sperry are 6.5x14.

Has anyone used the Sperry GTA Replica wheels and can tell me what
they're like? I'd be interested to know how well they're finished and
whether they're substantially heavier than the Alfa 5 spokes.

(BTW, if I go with the new rims, there will be a good set of 5 spokes
available for sale... ;)

Godfrey