Re: GTV6 Door Latches - a sneaky way in!!

Dave Miller <doc1590@domain.elided> wrote:

> No GTV6 that I've ever seen would lock without the key
> on the driver's door.

On several occasions I've accidentally pushed the lock on the driver's door of
my '83 GTV6 down while the door was closed, but when the door was opened it
stayed down!! When the door was closed again it still was down!! Lucky for me,
the window was open all the way!! :-)

Once, hundreds of miles from home, the above occurred but the windows were up. I
remembered that the "fixed" glass in the rear windows had (has!) some lateral
play in them. I was able to "crack" the window open about a 1/4" by sliding the
glass towards the rear of the car. I then inserted a specially prepared coat
hanger through the "cracked" window and unlock the door! I often wondered if
*all* GTV6 side windows had this capability. If so, don't let the thieves know
about it!!  ;-)

This "fault" seems to come and go without any warning, although lubrication of
the latch mechanism seems to resolve it for a while here in the dry & dusty
desert of West Texas.

BTW - I still think Petei's 164S did 158 mph, but I can't prove it. :-(

Maybe I'll have to do another test. When I do I'll let y'all know the
"unofficial" results.

'nardo
...locked in while I do another newsletter
b:d+z
Alpine, Brewster County, Texas USA
  Animated global position (~2:30 load @ 28.8):
     http://clubs.hemmings.com/texashillcountryaroc/alpine_zoom.htm