Re: American tastes

>Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:39:07 -0500 (EST)
>From: adoherty@domain.elided (Adam Doherty)
>Subject: American tastes

>As a follow-up to the "No Alfas in the US" topic: One of the issues that
>kept surfacing was the idea that US drivers can't/don't want to drive in
>a spirited fashion. In short, don't appreciate Drivers Cars and that's
>why Alfas are no longer sold here.... I had a
>small epiphany as I was taking my dinner last night in front of the
>television, as is customary for bachelors, something many of you have
>forgotten...and noticed yet another car commercial of someone in a
>something-or-other pasting a map up in thin-air. Then get back into their
>'driver's car' and drive into the maps twisty roads that we apparently
>lack in the US.
If I'm not mistaken that's a GM commercial ! I can only just shake my
head, a GM car being advertised as a driver's car...I don't think so

>It dawned on me that there are increasingly more of this
>type
>of advertisement, enough to give the impression that people actually
>like to
>drive instead of make the A--->B transition. Certainly the highly payed
>geniuses that dream up these ads have their fingers on the pulse/wallets
>of America, and realize that people really do like spirited driving etc
>etc. Consequently, there is a sizeable and profitable market for
>'Driver's Cars' in the US.
It's good to know that BMWs "M" cars and others like them,special tuned editions,are
becoming more sought after in the US.

>If this is so, I expect to see an advertisement for 156s, 147 and the
>like shortly. Q.E.D.
If Alfa were still here, I'd be driving a 156, I've now sold all my Alfas, but my
heart will remain with the marque. After the Raleigh auto show next weekend,
I'll be driving a Imola yellow Audi S4. one word : "intense", costwise I can
only afford one car, but it certainly fits the bill in everything I'd want in a car.

>I plan to eat-in alone more often so I can have that
>new GTV....
I'd love to see them come back...

Cheers,
David