re: spider gas smell

I have had the gas smell in my 90 Spider on 2 different occasions which called
for 2 different fixes.  The first was caused by a dried, cracked fuel hose
coming of the fuel filter.  It was easy to spot the leaking fuel and replace
the hose.  The other time it was caused by a cracked gas vapor recovery check
valve (?).  I don't know if that is what it is really called or not.  Look in
your trunk and pull down the hatch which is covering your jack.  You should
see a black cannister on the driver's side with some hoses running in and out.
 I believe this is where the gas vapors collect and condense and drip back
into the tank.  Anyhow, take the cannister out and if you have compressed air
blow some air thru it.  If not use lung power, just be careful not to inhale
while your lips are wrapped around it.  Next, check the lines that were
connected to the cannister and the two valves.  Again, blow air through the
valves but only in the direction the vapor or fuel would travel.  Study the
set up and follow the lines and you will figure it  out.  If any of the valves
or lines are cracked, replace them.  Put everything back and you should be
odor free for a while.  You might have to do this every few months or so, but
it is not really difficult.

Rob Murphy
90 Spider
Coral Springs, FL