Re: Giuletta questions, well one specific...

Eric,
>Is it safe to take apart the front suspension by: placing a jack under the
>lower arm, separating the lower arm from the upright, and lowering the jack?
Tell me when you are doing it so that I can be many miles away! I
definitely would not do it this way. I would suggest either:

1/ use 2x spring compressors (threaded rods with hooks) to compress the
spring before breaking the top & bottom ball joints, then remove the
spring & release tension gradually & uniformly. BEWARE, there is a
considerable amount of energy stored in the compressed spring,
sufficient to damage you or your car if it is released out of control.

2/ use 4x long threaded rods as you mention, this is a crude version of
the AR factory tool.

>I need to take the suspension apart on both my Giuletta and my GTV (one for
>restoration, the other for new springs), and this seemed like a safe
>alternative.  I already know about the threaded rod method, and would use it
>if the jack method was deemed to dangerous.  I've already gotten one opinion
>about this.  Just looking for more.
>
>#2, the air cleaner on a 750 Normale- I know its black, but what should the
>finish be?  I am assuming gloss, but just wanted to check.  I've got 2 of
>them, one I am restoring so that I can sell it.  Both of them have their
>original serial number tag.  Interesting parts- with the S/N...   I'll also
>ask these questions of the other digest I'm a member of.
>From examining 40+ year old weathered examples, I would guess a not too
glossy black

Tony Stevens
Alfa Stop

- --
Tony Stevens    http://www.alfastop.co.uk
ALFA STOP, POBox 50, Belper DE56 1AS, UK
Tel: +44 (0)177 382 2000
Fax: +44 (0)177 382 1900