RE: Giuletta questions, well one specific...

Eric,

	I recently rebuilt the front suspension of our 66 Guilia TI. I tried
to use a floor jack to do what you propose here, but this car had the engine
and transmission removed, so there was very little weight in the front end
to stop the car from being lifted by the spring pressure as I undid the
bolts. In a complete car, there may be enough weight to allow you to do
this. What I ended up doing was taking a 6000 lb web tie down strap that has
a ratchet to pull out the slack, and looping it under the jack and over the
top of the shock mount. This gave the jack something to resist against and I
was able to compress the spring, undo the nuts and slowly release the
tension with the jack. This worked well, and is much easier that using long
threaded rods. I used the same method to replace the spring, I just slid a
couple of wooden dowels through the bolt holes to keep everything lined up
as I compressed the spring. Worked like a charm, I'd do it this way again if
I had to. Just make sure your tie down strap is in good condition. Hope this
helps.

Richard Broughton
Columbia, SC