Re: Giuletta questions, well one specific...

The problem with this approach is that when the suspension is at full
droop, the inboard side of the spring is compressed more than the outboard
side. This makes the spring fight you every step of the way. You can do it
this way, but it's scary. I tend to use at least 2 threaded rods even when
using the jack. The other problem is that the jack can't compress the
spring all the way without lifting the car off the jack stands. =:0 When
putting the springs back in, you will have a real fight on your hands if
all you use is a jack. The combination of threaded rod and jack is more
effective than either one alone.

BTW, I think what you meant was unbolting the spring cup from the lower
A-arm. That's the way it's done. The spring is pressing the lower ball
joint taper into the knuckle (upright). The jack won't help you separate
the lower one. You really don't want to try to lower the jack away from
a compressed spring with the upright removed. I did swap out uprights
with the spring resting on the jack, but the spring wasn't allowed to
move.

Here's another nice tip for dismantling the front suspension. This works
on a GTV, but it won't help a Giulietta. BEFORE you pull the spring out,
loosen the nut on the upper ball joint and give the knuckle a rap with a
hammer. The spring will help separate the upper ball joint. You only need
to loosen the nut a little, maybe one turn. The suspension must be at
full droop with the upper arm against the rubber stop. Works like a charm.

The lower ball joint needs a puller.