Re:Difficult to restart hot

Juraj wrote:
>>This problem occurs when I try to start hot engine after it was off at
>>for least few minutes.
>>If it is off for just few seconds there is no problem.

I have had exactly the same behaviour with my Dellorto equipped 2000 GT
Veloce, and like Juraj it caused me some embarrassment soon after I bought
the car.

So far we have had suggestions of mixture, carb balance, timing, dwell, and
plug gaps, boiling fuel and vapour lock. I don't think that it is boiling
fuel or vapour lock: the carbs are on big thick rubber mounts, and symptoms
(including smell) are of flooding: last ditch cure is to open up the airbox
for a few minutes to let excess fuel evaporate off.

Get the overall state of tune right: Mine improved significantly with new
points, plugs, dist cap and a new battery (which was tired anyhow), check
your timing and idle mixture as well. I don't really understand why, but it
does seem to be prone to flooding in the situation you describe. I wonder if
a too high fuel level in the float chambers could be a cause, I think that
mine is worse is parked with the RH side of the car downhill which would
fit, and the airbox always seems to be quite damp when I've checked in that
situation. But the float settings seem to be okay.

My hot starting technique is to give it only a fraction of throttle
initially, and it will often fire immediately. If not, then go to full
throttle and keep cranking (pause every now and then to let the starter
cool). With a good battery it should start, although it may take a bit of
cranking to do so. But presumably it shouldn't be so marginal??

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1973 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce

Alfa Romeo 105 series Bertone Coupe home page and register at:
      http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1806/105GTV.HTML