Re: Snow Tires again - and SUV'S.

Michael talks about snow tires and all the compromises people in snow
covered areas have to make.  In Sunny Southern California obviously snows
only up in the mountains.  I like to go skiing, and the options are really
poor.  The roads up the mountain are restricted either to chains, or 4WD
with M/S tires (mud & snow).  Chains are ok on snow covered roads, and I
don't mind throwing myself on the wet side road, install tthe chains on my
Milano (Alfa 75) and continue the trip.  The problem is: 90% of the
remaining road (10-15 miles) will be dry bare pavement, and a few spots of
ice/snow until the ski areas.  Driving my Milano on dry road with chains is
not f un, does not bring any grin to my face, and makes me feel sorry for my
car.  It feels that it's falling apart as I drive it.  Short of getting an
SUV with 4WD and M/S tires, I have no other choice.

So last year I bought from my cousin and old '86 Jeep Cherokee 4WD, put a
set of M/S tires and went up the hill.  The thing couldn't go above 35 MPH!!
(2.5 liter mechanism, can't call it engine), probably 25 HP or so.  The Jeep
gets plenty of use around town, my son puts on it lots of miles to go to
work, we haul the dogs to the vet, the luggage to the airport (occacionally)
and fill the back with plants, wood and such.  Kind of a closed pick up
trtruck.

So, what should I do?  What do you guys in the snow suggest?  I like my
Alfas low, so chains are hard to get and always make the clank-clank noise
no matter how tight, and on heavy now, I hit snow with the exhaust all the
time.  That's why my dream Alfa would be a 4WD, adjustable ride hight, 2
sets of wheels, and room for skis inside (fold down rear seat).  May be a
156 wagon with 4WD.  Some times an SUV is not that crazy of an idea, after
all. (sorry)

Jorge, just thinking aloud.
89 Milano (very low)
74 GTV (even lower)