Leaky GTV6

Vangelis wrote of a leaky GTV6, where water leaks into the passenger
foot well.

My Alfetta Gt did that for the longest time, and I too, had trouble
finding the leak.  Short version was, that the cowl below the windshield
was Swiss cheese, and not the fine steel that we all know was used on
the mid 70's cars.

The cure?  Remove the windshield (broke in the process) and repair as
well as could be expected.  "Paint"the area with blue goo, to eat any
rust which might be left.  When the new windshield went in the glass guy
told me that the winshield before (not original, btw) was sealed in
place with silicone.  He said this is a Bozo No-No.  The acetic acid in
the sealer will eat (rust) the steel way too quick, and hence the
problem.  Use urethane, noit silicone.  He said this, not me.  No leaks,
from this area, since.  I still need a new back hatch, but is rust of a
different color.  (GTV6 hatch tdue o go on when I get the Alfetta
painted.)

btw - glad to be back after an enforced absence.  My home computer
fragmented its hard drive in a most unpleasanta fashion.  At four plus
years old, it was allowed, but it made life difficult for several
weeks.  G4 up and running, now (Yeah, I am bragging.  OK?)

My tuppence
Jay Negrin
ARO Southern California
76 Alfetta GT