Re: alfa-digest V7 #1344

Hi all,

Keith wrote:

> While trying to change the fabric rear suspension limiting straps on my 74
> GTV, I found the screws were very rusted and frozen in place.

I know this is a bit late but I also drilled a hole in the mountingbracket to be
able to get penetrating oil into both screws from
above and used a lot of patience before I even took the vise-grips
to the screw stubs...  After this I didn't have any problem with
them.
I think your ideas about replacing the captive nuts are quite good...

> Next time I will simply drill out the screw/bolt and retap the hole.  Plus I
> will install stainless steel bolts instead of using the original Philips head
> screws.

Absolutely use stainless, yes, but I would maintain the flat head
screws so the rubber pad doesn't get cut up.  It may flex more
than you think...

My experience with this was that the real corrosion (and seizing)
was between the bolt and the aluminium spacer plate.
To prevent this in the future I had a shop machine up some nylon
spacers to use instead.

Just my 2 pfennig.

Cheers,
Neil
Aachen Germany
(It's supposed to be sunny for a few minutes this morning.)