Re: alfa sedans

In a message dated 2/8/00 14:00:53 Eastern Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 We can argue why and how come till the beer's all
 gone, but it's as plain as plain to me: it wasn't the
 cars, it was the idiots trying to market them...or, as
 it seems, trying NOT to.

 Will Owen >>

I'm not sure what you mean by marketing, especially since the example you
used- BMW- was, when the 2002 came out, a fairly unknown quantity in the
States. Their ads used to state "perhaps those of you who flew in WWII might
remember our engines were used in German aircraft, hence our logo"  (which is
supposed to resemble whirling propeller blades.)
In fact, Alfa Romeo was far better known. The 2002 exploded into a sales
bonanza because of favorable write ups by David E. Davis, then of Car and
Driver magazine, and Road and Track.  I still remember Davis' words: "No
nameless dread keeps you scanning the gauges every ten seconds."

No my friends, the reason is that we put up with far more than the most
forgiving car owners do, and that is the main reason Alfa failed. It's one
thing to sell this in a "pure" sports car. You cannot do this with a luxury
sport sedan.

Don