Govt Policy..

snip> "Remember, it is US government *not Fiat* policy that ensures that
citizens of the land of the free can only buy what they are allowed, rather
than what they want"

This is just alot of BS (sorry Brian).  There is NO US policy that is
keeping Alfa, or anybody else, out of the US market.  Alfa is gone for one
good business reason, they could not hardly give away their cars.  The
reasons are legion and well discussed in this forum.  The emissions and DOT
requirements are not that onerous and are easily met by the likes of Kia,
Daewoo, and Lotus.  Are you saying that these companies engineers and
technology are somehow superior to those at FIAT/Alfa?  Not bloody likely.
It is a business decision, pure and simple.  I know for a fact that the NEW
GTV and Spider were already federalized before they were introduced in
Europe.  The current set of motors, except the TS, are all direct
descendants of motors already federalized in earlier models.  Bet their
better now then before.  Crash resistance is not just a matter of welding in
a bunch of extra weight.  It is rather a case of controlled crumpling and
the techniques are well known in the auto industry.  Toyota was able to make
the changes in their minivan in only one year to change their crash results
from one of the worse into one of the best without adding tons of steel.  It
is called engineering and there are few if any secrets in the industry.  I
am not rying to defend the regulations, but just using them as a bum excuse
for poor market performance by Alfa is just so many bull cookies.  The
choice of many American to drive trucks and SUV's should come as no
surprise.  This has always  been a hard market for small cars.  Many
Americans just like 'em big.  That is part of being in a free market.
People vote with their purchases and the companies respond.  Even the Euro's
are getting in on it.   BTW, a recent study in Europe found that the market
segment with the greatest anticipated growth in the next 20 years....trucks
and SUV's.  Would I like to see Alfa come back...you bet!  But the decision
will lie at FIAT or whoever picks up their auto division.  BTW, Renault and
Peugeot left for the same reason Alfa did....lousy sales and a poor
reputation for quality and service.  I have heard that Renault is planning
to come back.  It is a big and crowded market and the sporty market is and
competition is fierce.  I suppose there is a fleet of black helicopters out
there making sure Alfa doesn't try to return.  Now I feel better....

Jerry in Houston