Re: Return of the Rattling Spider Thread...

I had a very similar problem with my '85 Spider.  There was a very
pronounced and "tinny" rattle from beneath the car around 3000 rpms (that
must be where the most harmonic vibration is produced).  The problem ended
up being a hairline fracture in the metal casing around the front part of
the muffler close to where it attaches to the manifold.  It was almost
impossible to see since it was down the edge that faced the side of the car,
but the local muffler shop found it, welded it and now I'm rattle free!  I
know you said that you replaced all the exhaust components, but did this
include the front section with the catalytic converter?  It is the most
expensive of the exhaust components, so it's probably one of the last things
to get changed. Who knows, maybe the new one is rattling also.

Bill Kraft
Dublin, CA
85 Spider Veloce