Alfa / Fiat / DC

I completely agree with Mat. You may like or dislike Fiat SpA, but it was
the best solution for Alfa back in 87 in my opinion (or you would have
prefered Ford just for the sake of maintaining Alfa in North America?).

Alfa Romeo is making a come back in the rest of the world. It has a fresh
new image since the 155. The cars are better built. It complies with all the
world's safety regulations (but NA). So think about it. It is the US
government protecting it's boring industry that is keeping some beautiful
cars off your shores. Not only Alfa Romeo and Lancia but also some french
nice cars such as Peugeot (406 / 406 Coupe, 206 GTI), Renault (Megane, Clio
V6) and Citroen (Xantia, Xsara, Saxo).

Since Fiat bought Alfa they introduced the 155 and won the 93 DTM and 94
BTCC and several Superturismo championships in Italy (last one on 1999 with
the 156). They finished 2nd on the South American touring car championship
in 97 and 3rd in 98 and 99. They introduced nice compact cars (145 / 146),
the 155 and it's beautiful replacement 156 (Car of the year in 1998), the
166 and the GTV / Spider (that stole the show at the Paris Motor Show in
1994).
Besides that Ferrari is maintaining it's independence and keeps presenting
exciting cars, Maserati has the awesome GT3200 and Lancia has the new Lybra.

Don't get me wrong. I love classic Alfas. I wish Alfa management would have
made better decisions back in the 80's and remained independent, but I think
that with Fiat things are not that bad. I will hate to see an Alfa Neon, or
a Spider that looks like a Prowler designed in California. Or Alfa being
used as a cheaper alternative to a MB on the same showroom. There is nothing
wrong with german cars. They are good cars. They are just not an Alfa Romeo.

Cheers,

Stan