sloppy handling

For all of you out there accepting sloppy handling cars (Spiders & GTVs)
because your mechanics said that was normal - GET A NEW MECHANIC THEY ARE
HACKS!

There is nothing wrong with the design.  The fact is 20+ year old rubber
wears out - there is a bunch of it in the front and rear of your cars.
Replace all of it and the tie rod ends and ball joints too.  That is going to
set you back $500 just in parts.  Then get an alignment done by someone who
knows what they are doing.  If you still have a sloppy handling spider then
it was wrecked - sell it to someone who thinks the cars should handle that
way and get one that doesn't.  I personally am not impressed with modern
power assisted rack and pinion and prefer the old recirculating ball.

Don't accept anything short of tight crisp handling from an Alfa (as for rack
and pinion - beware of the inner tie rod ends on the GTV6/Alfetta - they wear
out and give terribly sloppy handling - they can be fixed).

Ben Higgins
Galveston, Texas
A bunch of Alfas and none are sloppy - not even the GTV6 anymore

<< I'm with you - some of it must be "normal", where the deviation is, only
the
 experts know. That's why we need to take the car to trustworthy mechanics.

 I've brought mine to my mechanic for the same reasons - felt a little
 "vague" or "sloppy". They told me it was fine...

 I think the bottom line is that we can't expect a car with a design that's
 dates back to decades ago to feel as "tight" as our modern cars with rack
 and pinion steering.  >>