Re: Head Gasket

Mark Tamas wrote:

>My theory on the coolant leaks is that the roll pins are too high and
>preventing the head from sitting down on the block.  The seal at the
>cylinders appeared to be just fine.  Is such a condition possible?

>It seems to me that these roll pins are causing problems rather than
>preventing them.  They certainly didn't help the o-rings live very long.
>It also looks like they may restrict oil flow to the head.  I'm thinking
>of removing them if I can.

>Any opinions?

Mark

As to the roll pins possibly being too high - I don't think they are tight
enough of a fit to prevent them from seating fully when the head is torqued.

As to restricting oil flow to the head - This has been mentioned before and
I did a bit of number crunching. Since the oil is ultimately on its way to
the camshaft journals and the inside diameter of the roll pin (in my
estimation) is at least 300 times greater than that of the bearing
clearances I can't see how it could restrict the flow.

Finally, as to the roll pins causing rather than preventing problems - I
think the vast majority of owners will mirror my experiences in that the
roll pins solved an inherent problem and do work. I personally wouldn't even
consider removing them or leaving them out.

That's my opinion anyway....

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project