RE: alfa-digest V7 #1306

Then again, what are emergency brakes for if not a quick turn?

- -----Original Message-----
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:00:07 EST
From: JHertzman@domain.elided
Subject: Re: Alfas in snow

- --Extraneous text removed--

The other "owner's choice" factors affecting snow manners are tire-width and
ground clearance. Alfas with 205 or 225 tires, 'improved' appearance and
sub-sump skidgrates would probably not do very well in deep snow. My
recollection is that our Giulia Super, with 155-15 tires, and our Berlina,
with stock height, stock tires, and an LSD were as capable in snow as our
Milano, and better than our 164. One other difference among the front-drive
and rear-drive cars is turning radius: in a worst-case losing-it situation I
would rather have the Milano's full-lock available at one end and driven
wheels at the other than the 164's more limited full-lock on the driven
wheels.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C. where the rare snow is 20" deep this week