Re: Alfas in Snow

joseph.fillipjr@domain.elided wrote:

> Having driven through one of Philadelphia's twice-per-decade snow storms yesterday(12-18 inches, in a place where the mere THREAT of snow has people emptying out the local supermarket and cowering under the daybed in terror), I can attest that the 164 handled it like a champ.
>
> Now maybe it has something to do with the fact that I learned to drive in snow in Buffalo NY in mid-'70s Detroit rear-wheel drive iron, but that can't be the whole story -- the 164 simply was easily able to get through some nasty spots that gave the local SUV crowd much difficulty. Having a 5-speed and snow tires really helped, too.
>
> Joe Fillip
> Swarthmore, PA

We got 14" of snow in northern Connecticut over the past two days - typical winter weather for us.  My experience with it mirrors Joe's.  The 164 also handles amazingly well in the snow and ice.  Has Nokian Hakkapeliitta 215 55 16 Frictions on it now.

But I must disagree with his observation about having a 5-speed helping in the snow/ice.  Mine's an automatic -  and it goes through snow better than the all too common Jeep, Lincoln, Mazda, Dodge and Mercedes SUVs that predominate the landscape here.... especially when the 164 is in its Ice mode!

I'd also like to add that we've had a few weeks of sub-zero nights *and days*, with high winds, and wind chill factors frequently down around -20F - a couple nights -40F, and one night, -67F at gusts.  And my 164's not only always started right up like something out of an auto battery spot, but has consistently started within a second
of ignition.  Even in these frigid temperatures, runs flawlessly.  Most impressive.

~ Doug in CT
'75 Alfetta Sedan
'94 164LS

End of alfa-digest V7 #1300