Re: AC retrofits

Dana Loomis <dloomis@domain.elided> wrote:

<<...the thread on AC seems to have originated in the USA, where going
without AC is considered unthinkable...>>

More specifically, it originated in the Southeasternmost metropolitan area
of the USA, where going without a/c in an enclosed coupe borders on a plea
for confinement to a lifetime of psychiatric observation, or heatstroke.

<<Yep, I mean another car.  For less than the cost of retrofitting AC into
an Alfa, you can buy a full-size Ford or GM sedan to drive when it's too
hot, cold, wet, or whatever to drive a classic Alfa.>>

Ah. But then that runs into the issue of where this alternative vehicle is
to be kept, and more importantly, if (in my case) I had to wait until it
wasn't too warm to drive a classic Alfa, I would only drive it in
January/February, when the temperatures reach lows around 50F/11C. Sadly, I
live in a climate where the temperature in the very dead of winter average
80F/27F and are never any lower than 85F/30C and multi-week bursts at
+90F/+35C are commonplace, in combination with +90% relative humidity...it
makes getting out of one's Alfa dry a rather unlikely scenario.

When I was young and far less ane than I am now, I went the a/c less route
with my Alfa, and I remember constant perspiration being my copilot.

If I lived elsewhere, then this argument might hold water for me, but that
is, unfortunately, not the case. I would be curious to know, however, how
many of the a/c-less Alfisti who reside in parts of the world where snow is
frequent reality, would drive their Alfae in winter if it didn't have a
heater.

- -Joe in reasonably sunny SoFla, currently between Alfae, but looking!