4 cyl piston rings

Well, it's head gasket time, I've put it off long enough.

While I have the engine open, I thought I might replace the piston
rings.  The engine has very low compression when cold, what seems to be
acceptable (190-200psi) when hot and I can't get it to idle above 400
RPM.

	In his book, Pat Braden mentioned a technique where you remove the
liners to replace the piston rings.  Anybody have experience with this
method?
	Assuming the liners are stuck and the above is not possible, can you
remove the oil pan on an Alfetta GT with the engine in the car?  It
looks possible, with maybe some interference from the cross member and
steering rack.

Thanks for any input,

Mark Tamas
79 116 GT