re: Verde Brake Problem

hi john, ewe said:
>My trusty Verde has recently developed a peculiar problem when first driving
>it in the morning. There appears to be no power assist for the first few
>brake applications and then this problem becomes infrequent for several more
>brake apps culminating in regular brake pressure for the remainder of the
>trip. After sitting for some time it starts up again. The pump seems to be
>cycling during regular intervals as before but the brake fluid DOES need to
>be replaced.
>Any ideas?
=======================
i can't provide specifics, tho it sounds like it may be taking the pump an
inordinate time to get started.  once it's running ok, how many brake actuations
do ewe get before the pump comes on?  ewe should be able to get at least 5
actuations between pump cycles.  if not, then either the accumulator is going
away, or the pump is leaking internally.  if ewe *are* getting more than 5
actuations, perhaps ewe have a loose elec'l connection?  in any event, BLEED THE
BRAKES IMMEDIATELY!!!!  this is the easiest, cheapest way to ensure longevity of
this system.

my werde brakes were giving me problems - abs light coming on, cuz the pump
started running & woodn't stop.  (this was *after* the accumulator had been
replaced).  i switched to valvoline synthetic dot 4 brake fluid (*not*
silicone), and wrapped the pump w/that foil-faced heat-shield stuff awailable at
pep-boys, etc. - these pumps *are* adwersely affected by heat.  i bleed the
brakes every year.  now, i only *rarely* have a problem - once in a *great*
while, the abs lite-n-pump goes on, but if i turn off the ignition & immediately
restart the car, it goes away.  even when cruising down the road.  i believe
this is a relay - anyone know where it is?

doug s.