importing an ALFA

Tony Bruno writes " I lived in Italy for 3 years and it was well known that
the only cars (post 1967) that could be shipped to the US had to have "US
Specs" and have a sticker to that effect. Even if the car is identical to one
that is exported, it can't come in without 'papers'"

This is not quite correct. I have a 1973 GTV, which is emphatically not "US
Specs" and was imported quite legally in the eighties; it did have to be
modified in certain respects by a certified facility after landing (e.g. door
intrusion bars installed, some side marker light modifications) but not in
others (e.g. the Dellorto carbs and 10548 cams were allowed). At the time it
came in D.O.T. requirements had to be met but E.P.A. requirements did not.

The rules have changed from time to time, and some have been successfully
evaded; but I certainly do agree with his core point, that it is very
unlikely that one could bring in a Q4, as Curt Norheim proposed,  simply on
the basis of the emissions/DOT being the same as a regular Q. One might get
away with it, but I would be prepared to pay for the shipping costs back.
Importation under the new rules for limited use might be possible, but I
wouldn't bet on it.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.