ABS pump - when it runs, how much, and why

I just replaced my accumulator;  the pump had been running after every
depression of the brake.  Now it runs every 6-8 depressions, and that's what
I remember it doing when the car was new.

However, now the pump runs longer when it does run.  I remember the pump
used to change pitch rapidly as the pressure was quickly recharged, when the
car was new.  I attribute the pump running longer to a tired pump - at
least, I will settle for that as an explanation.  That the accumulator has
held the charge through 6-8 depressions of the brake pedal, tells me the
accumulator was a good investment.  And, I have another used pump to replace
this one when 'very tired' isn't good enough.

FWIW

Dave Westphal

'89 Verde
'91 164S (Currently on loan to my business partner while his Corvette
is very sick; again.)