Re: 164 Oil Cooler

"Erostratus" <Erostratus@domain.elided> writes...
> So having spent a long summer watching the temp needle sweep past  the
> midpoint, and an exasperating winter waiting for the temp needle to
> get to the mid-point, I've been cursing Italian engineers for not
> installing an oil-antifreeze heat exchanger in my 164.  I mean, my
> 1985 Porsche had one, you would think by 1991......
>
> Then, while perusing the tech manual, I found reference to just such a
> unit on "S' cars.

Steve-  Not only did the S get the oil cooler, but so did all 164s (B &
L)  built after 10/90 or so.  All the parts should be available AND, if I
recall correctly, you'd have to tap a hole into the water pump housing (I
think one hole is already there, but plugged - just going from off-hand
memory here).  I think I'd go with an after-market cooler with a
thermostat if I was going to go to that much trouble.

Brad Anesi
'91 Project 164Q 5-speed

End of alfa-digest V7 #1262