Spider power window lift cables

Quick question for y'all: how much tension should there be in the power
window lift cables on a Spider?  I seem to remember Fred mentioning recently
that it was important to have the right tension, and the manual tells you to
adjust the tension by moving the top pulley and using the two slotted screws
that hold the frame for the bottom pulleys, but how much is enough?  And
should the cable be wrapped completely around the grooved drum on the end of
the motor, or just across part of it, like a fan belt?

The motor's shot on mine, but the switch seems fine - I get a healthy +
and - 12v at the connector, and nuttin' but a small "click" from the motor -
and I want to get the new one set up right.  The cable at the moment is
remarkably slack, just flopping around (although it does still run over all
the pulley wheels), and that surely can't be right.  Oh, and the glass is
stuck all the way up, and the manual says to lower the glass and remove it
before taking off the motor.  I've tried applying a little judicious
pressure to the glass, and pulling down from inside the door on the frame
holding the lower edge of the glass, but I'm reluctant to try more force
without understanding where the thing might be stuck or where it's best to
tug.  Any and all advice would be most welcome, as always!

TIA

Jon Inge
86 Spider Veloce "Arturo"
Edmonds WA