Hoist on my own petard

	The response to my question about a hoist in my 'new' garage was quite
varied.  Some mentioned (most pointedly) that I should have opted for a
larger garage with house attached, some said that they had great success
with a hoist, whereas others said go for the foldable engine hoist.

	I sure wish I could get a larger garage but the area where we want to
live (for now, anyway), the larger garages come with larger homes - we
wanted a smaller home with large garage.  But a 1-car garage is a
1000000% improvement over the one I have now...which is none.  I do all
my work outside and take it into the basement work area if I could.  Our
plans now, is to add a second story to the garage as a full-time
(heated/cooled) workshop area.  I can remove the engine from the cars
and then work on them upstairs in the winter or downstairs in the
summer.  A garage is NOT a place to store a car....

	For those with architectural bents, the garage was built in 1948, made
of brick and block and the roof joists and rafters are 2x10s - I think
that the house originally had a slate roof which would require such
large beams and the other houses in the area have slate roofs but it now
has asphalt shingles.

	As to the hoist issue, I'm now leaning toward a foldable hoist (hang it
from the ceiling when not in use), rent one (local prices $US25 a day)
or just borrow one from a willing friend/victim (the best choice).
Since we haven't moved nor built the addition to the garage, this is all
speculation.  But thanks for all the suggestions and when I make up my
mind, I'll let you all know.  Then I'll start asking questions about
engine rebuilding....

	Bruce

	'86 Spider
	'73 GTV