Re: Re:alfa-digest V7 #1222; too-cryptic posts, and cleaing electrical contacts

In AD #1227 the estimable Mr. Hertzman wrote:

>I, appreciat[e] learning about the solutions to problems, but not being
>very insightful, am prone to wonder (sometimes) what the hell the problems
>were that elicit certain succinct, but cryptic, answers.

Thank you, sir, for calling out the posters who leave us wondering just
what, generally, they are writing about. I don't consider such mild and, as
usual, well-documented criticism of posting style at all testy.

  I have previously commmented that I very much appreciate folks whose
issues were resolved in offline discussion reporting back on the solution
(summaries such as this are often some of the more interesting content on
the digest),but if something is worth posting for general viewing it should
at least indicate the topic at hand and enough information to put the
subject in context.  Calls for assistance which do not even indicate the
model or year involved, or offers to sell which don't indicate the continent
where the goods are rusting are annoying at least and futile wastes of
bandwidth at worst. Usually I shrug off the unintelligible content and move
on but a high-enough quotient of such noise impairs the value of the digest.
  Fortunately most postings are far superior to the minimum standard of
accuracy and clarity.  If you need a style sheet just watch Mr. Hertzman.

Like most Alfa owners I have spent my share of time tracing and correcting
faults in the electrical system, often due to corrosion in wire connectors.
The connectors in question are usually the near-ubiquitous .25 inch
spade-type. As a question of general shop practice, what tools and methods
work best for you in cleaing these?
I have tried most of the nostrums which have come my way, from spray
electronic contact cleaners to disassembling the connector and removing the
accumulated verdigris with a dremel tool but am not totally satisfied with
any.  The most troublesome seem to be the blocks of female connectors and I
envision some yet-undiscovered (by me) method for getting down to bright
brass and keeping it so for the long haul.  Any suggestions?

Bryan Shuler
Austin,TX

74 Spider (ex-Santa Cruz CA car and a model of corrosion)
81 Spider (pretty clean,really)