14" wheels on early 105 suspensions

In AD7-1222 Simon Favre wrote about steering knuckle design changes ("about 4
different types of hub/knuckle/caliper bracket unit") and their conflict with
some wheels. Some was new to me, all was interesting, but I will demur on a
couple of points. His last paragraph says "Bottom line, if the suspension
parts on your car were designed for a 15" wheel, you may not be able to fit
any 14" wheel. Check it before you buy! If the car was upgraded at some point
to use the 115 series (2 liter) front suspension, then you should be able to
fit either 14" or 15" at will. IMO, there's no point putting new 14" wheels
on anything, because the tire choices in that size are vanishing."

In late 1968 I put 14" Alfa wheels on my 1967 Giulia Super. According to my
parts book the Super, TI Super, and Duetto all used the 105.14.21.010/011.00
steering knuckles which were the original ones on the TI, which was the first
105, introduced in June 1962 with drum brakes. Those books all show just one
type of steering knuckle and all show just one type of caliper bracket,
105.14.22.103/104.00. The bolt pattern of the four large bolts which Simon
mentioned was of course inherited from the drum brake backing plates.

A second steering knuckle with integral caliper bracket,
105.41.21.010/011.00, is the only one shown in any of my 1750
Berlina/Spider/GT Veloce parts books and in my 2000 Berlina parts books.

Simon mentions another one before '67 for Dunlop calipers (which doesn't show
up in my parts books), and that "Juniors came with a different knuckle that
used the smaller caliper bolt spacing", and that in mid '67, they switched to
a 1-piece knuckle and caliper bracket which was used through '68, but which
was evidently distinct from the later (2000) unit. I wonder if at least these
last two, the Junior and the mid-67 through '68, might not be the same, if
they are indeed different from the other two. The 1968 production figures
seem to me to support this question; by Fusi's numbers the 1968 production
consisted of 42,014 1750s (thus covered in the 1750 parts books) and 47,202
1300s, and just 7,686 1600s of all types. If the 1750s had the 1750 knuckles,
and the 1300s had the Junior knuckles, there would seem to be little reason
for not using one or the other on the handful of 1600s.

One other quibble (an old one, at that,) is Simon's equating the 115 series
with the two liter. If Fusi is correct, most of the two-liters (all except
the USA's 7%) were 105s, and the 115s started with the 1970 1300 Super,
extending to the 1600s in 1972. If you go by Fusi's numbers, by the end of
1972 there were over 82,000 115s which were not 2000s, over 70,000 2000s
which were not 115s, and just over 5000 2000s which were 115s.

On the 14" wheel not fitting suspension parts designed for 15" wheels, the
only explanation I can think of for 14" wheels fitting my '67 Super and not
fitting his '67 GTV would be a difference between my steel wheels and his
alloys. His "Check it before you buy!" is certainly fair enough advice.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.