RE: Milano/75 Lowering - Rear End

John Wright writes "My story, and I am sticking by it, is that the DOT
specified bumper height exceeded the Milano/75 original design.  To design
around this regulation, it was simpler to install springs that raised the
rear of the car approx 2" to meet specs" and that with "'performance' springs
from AR Ricambi - - The car sits lower and looks infinately happier in this
mode. The drawbacks?  Well, as if clearance were not low enough already, I
constantly am bottoming out in driveways and re-shaping my exhaust pipes....
But I love the look and handling and would strongly encourage the swap."

WADR, My doubt, and I am sticking to it, is whether USA bumper-Nazis or
dot-Commies had anything to do with it. My (stock) Milano's rear bumper is 4"
higher than my wife's (stock) 164's front bumper, and 7.5" higher than its
own front bumper. Furthermore, D'Amico & Tabucchi's magnum opus has eleven
photos of various iterations of the 75 in Euroguise, and they all show the US
pose, with the tail high enough that a line projected from the door sills
passes within an SRCH of the top of the rear wheel bolt circle, as it does on
my US Milano. I suspect that Centro Stile did its design studies on paper and
in clay, and after the form was finalized the car was raised, by Alfa's own
engineers, to allow practical clearances for things like exhaust pipes. I
agree that it looks awkward, but hey, it's an Alfa.

I remember once way back when the Corvette's rear suspension travel was
reduced by a half inch to fit the styling. I prefer Alfa's priorities.

Cordially,

John H.