RE: Milano/75 Lowering - Rear End

As a digesti/alfisti (??) who has been through this
proceedure not once, but twice on two 1989 Milanos,
let me contribute my $0.02 worth....

My story, and I am sticking by it, is that the DOT
specified bumper height exceeded the Milano/75
original design.  To design around this regulation, it
was simpler to install springs that raised the rear of
the car approx 2" to meet specs (unfortunately, these
regulationsdo not seem to apply anywhere else,
otherwise why would the SUV bumper be placed at hood
level for my GTVwith decorative ss bumpers?).  When I
acquired my Milanos, one brand new in 1989 (the other
slightly used by a little old lady from Pasadena in
1995), the first thing that I did was to order
'performance' springs from AR Ricambi.  The car sits
lower and looks infinately happier in this mode.

The drawbacks?  Well, as if clearance were not low
enough already, I constantly am bottoming out in
driveways and re-shaping my exhaust pipes.... But I
love the look and handling and would strongly
encourage the swap.

Best of luck,

John Wright
San Francisco CA