gtv6 vibration

A little potentially related background:
My gtv6 has the original 2-plate clutch (~80k miles).  I removed the car
from daily service in early '95 after six years as my main vehicle.  Since
then, I've only driven it, at most, about 2K miles per year.  About a year
ago while having a bit of fun, I lost a small piece of my front donut
(second time since I bought the car).  The loss was not very bad - only a
small vibration.  Following this, I garaged it until a few weeks ago.  Then,
I changed the oil and drove it to my new house, a drive of less than 100
miles (I could barely notice any vibration).  Awhile back, I bought a new
donut from Alfabill - I planned to do some work to it after Christmas.

Today's symptoms/problem:
Anyway, today, I had let my wife use my daily driver (87 milano).
Unfortunately, our other vehicle was  not available for use on a long trip
today.  And, as fate would have it, my office needed me to make an afternoon
trip (about 150 mile round trip).  I decided to take the gtv6.

When I was about half way to my destination, I notice that my car was
vibrating noticeably.  I was able to reach my destination, complete my work
and head home.  However, on the way home the vibration continued to
increase.

When I was about 18 miles from home I began to hear a noise that sounded
just like the noise you hear when sand or small pieces of gravel are being
thrown from your tires into your rear wheel wells.  I continued carefully
home but the noise continued for about 4 miles.

When I entered my town, I likewise entered stop-and-go traffic.  When I
would pull away from a stop sign, the car would buckle.  The sensation was
the same as if you were driving in first gear while pumping the accelerator.
However, in my case, it would happen in at least the first three gears while
I drove as gently as possible.  I managed to get the car home and into the
garage.

My first thought was that the problem was that the condition of the
driveshaft had worsened.  However, I've driven 4 transaxle alfas during and
after the loss of a section of the front driveshaft.  In none of these
instances has the symptoms been like today's (generally some vibration and
tunnel thump).  As to the driveshaft, I am also considering that perhaps the
pilot bearing is gone or that the hanger bearing went out - I don't know.
My other thought is that the friction material on one or both of the clutch
plates is disentegrating (coincidental).

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate your response.  By the
way, the problem is definately not related to the engine - it, as always,
runs perfectly.

Thanks,
Rodney
Hattiesburg, MS