164 Ticketed in NJ for no front plate

As some of you know, I have a lightweight fiberglass bumper on my 164
which has no provision for a plate.  Sure, I could fabricate something
up, but it would look like crap.  So I've driven it this way for about 3
years without event, despite the fact that in NJ you're supposed to have
front & rear plates.  Note, only once in 3 years did they even fail me
for inspection.

So on Nov 30 (yes, the last day of the month), I was driving through
Pennington NJ, through an area I had been warned was a speed trap.  I had
all I could do to drive under the posted speed limit of 25 MPH, but
somehow I managed.  Sure enough, "Officer Friday" pulls out in high
pursuit like I was smuggling 50 kilos across county lines.  Although I
was pretty sure his Caprice wouldn't do 160 MPH, I decided it wasn't in
my best interest to test that theory <g>.

Despite the fact that I demonstrated the utmost of courtesy, kept my
hands in plain site as he approached the car, it quickly became obvious
that he was on a revenue collection mission (again, note the last day of
the month) and nothing I said was going to change that.  I sent my $43
check in today, along with a comment that if they needed to collect
revenue from out-of-towners, I'd much prefer they just set up a toll gate
at the edge of town.

Defiantly, my front plate remains under my seat.

Brad Anesi
'91 Project 164Q 5-speed