Checking for Bondo

Tim Malaney wrote (in part)...

"I also saw an Ad in my son's lowrider magazine about a device called a Spot
Rot auto body damage gauge available from Pro Motorcar Products, Inc.  It is
supposed to allow a used vehicle buyer to better evaluate hidden damage even
under slick paint jobs.  It is supposed to check for thickness of body filler
and even thickness of paint."

I have a clever device that does a good job of detecting Bondo. It's a
flexible refrigerator magnet. Lay it on a suspect area. It is sticks and
holds the contour of the body = little or no Bondo. If it sort of sticks, but
lifts at the corners = more Bondo. If it doesn't cling at all = way too much
Bondo. Cheap and a good clue. Not much help when looking for hidden rust in
the rockers, though.

Bob Rice
Tampa
86 Spider