Quandary: replacement of saab 900 turbo w/164?

Dear Listees,
i've noticed quite a bit of overlap between saab and alfa owners, so perhaps
this is the appropriate forum for this question:
My '83 Saab 900 Turbo, with 170,000 miles (50,000 by teenager po) will
require a cv couplings soon, clutch change even sooner (now), and is leaking
from the engine/gearbox seal about a quart of oil every three weeks.
Bodywork, as can be expected from a teenage po is full of dents. Engine is
VERY strong (recent rebuild, mods, luck? - the three italian brothers who
were owners of a company i worked at back in 80, when i was 20, were all
rabid alfisti. they, well two of them loudly proclaimed that engines needed
to run from day one at very high revs, always. the third brother claimed
they were overloaded with testosterone, and that this clouded their thought
processes. He drove his alfa conservatively. For some reason, the rpm
freaks' alfas lasted much longer than the conservative ones' did. They were
all bought new the same day). But enough digression. I'm faced with either
dropping a bunch of money into the Saab, or shopping for a newer one, or
finding a nice 164 on this list. HINT HINT HINT!
The saab, i've found, to be a remarkable car. Nice balance of power,
handling, comfort and decent, albeit quirky looks. 164's, especially - to my
eye - the early, non spoilered and dammed models, are beautiful. Having been
privy to what we could call 'insider' information on this list about their
numerous electrical quirks, i wonder (after the bullet-proof saab) whether
or not it is a good idea to switch.
I welcome all comments, suggestions and offers of nice 164's.
Thank you, and, if the replies are not pertinent to the list at large,
please reply to ayver@domain.elided
Andres in Santa Fe
'74 gtv 2000 (keeper)
'83 Saab turbo (should i stay or should i go)
'74 Honda cb400F (winter project)