Re: 5200 RPM Redline?

The (seemingly original) tach in my '69 1750 Spider has a 5700 RPM redline,
altho I've often surpassed that for short bursts with no catastrophic
effects. As I recall, the 5700 RPM redline has to do with the SPICA tune--
the engine can safely rev higher than that but there's not much to be gained.

You may be getting confused by the illustrations of the dashboard controls &
instruments in the owner's Manual-- which shows the tach w/ correct redline
on the Berlina and GTV pages, but the Spider page shows a tach w/ the redline
at 6300 RPM. The Specification page lists 132 SAE BHP @ 5500 rpm, and the How
To Use Your Car page states:
"Important Note:
The fuel injection system allows the engine to be used in the widest RPM
range; however, in gears higher than second, the best performance and
emission control as well, can only be attained by exceeding 2200 RPM."

- --Caxambu