RE: Oil Pan Guards

> I can sympathize as this happened to me earlier this summer. As Ascher, my
> oil pan was damaged and the hood dented.
> I am a little confused though, as to the effectiveness of the oil pan
guard.
> I did not have an oil pan guard on my car, so the lower oil pan was
> literally ripped from the upper one. I had to replace both pans. In
Ascher's
> case, it seems only to be the lower pan, but shouldn't the oil pan guard
> have protected him from this type of damage?

aschers seems to have helped - you lost both pans, he damaged the lower pan
but managed to drive home.

the guard is not invincible.  it will save the pan from damage in minor
incidents, and it will minimize damage to the pan in more serious incidents.

i've got a sump guard at home that was reinforced by adding 1/2" square
stock to each of the ribs.  the thicker you make the sump guard the more
prone it is to scrape, my reinforced on has almost worn through the
reinforcements in places.

fwiw,

bs