removing stains in stainless steel

Now I see why they don't call it stain-free, or stain-proof.  Anyway, my
*new* 74 GTV has these beautiful (for some, at least) stain-less steel
bumpers, with some very superficial rust stains that I would like to polish
out.  They have no other marks, bends or pits, so I'd like for them to look
immaculate and pristine.  All I need is a good S/S polish compound.  I have
tried steel wool (very fine) by hand, but it's not enough for my standards.
Do I use coarser compounds and work my way to finer ones?, can I do it by
hand?, or should I use a machine?  Or is this a job for a metal fabricator?
The stains are rather small on visible areas, but I would also like to get
rid of the ones on the *inside*, which are larger (areas behind the wheels)
These bumpers are so untouched for a 25 year old car, that the PO must have
never parked on the street.  At least not in Buenos Aires, or New York, or
Rome :))
Thanks for the help
Jorge Mazlumian
Redlands, CA
74 GTV - taking all my spare time, but what fun!
89 AR 75/Milano Verde - very jealous...

End of alfa-digest V7 #1182